12 tips for a successful #GivingTuesday campaign
We’re only a few days away from the sixth annual #GivingTuesday, a global day of giving that celebrates the power of social media for good causes. Have you got your campaign planned yet? If not, read on! It’s not too late to join in. You can also create your campaign with our Story Builder feature – it’s free!
Last year, one in ten adults (an estimated number of 4.5 million people) took part in some kind of activity during the day, such as fundraising, volunteering or supporting a campaign. So what will you be doing this year?
We’ve compiled a last-minute checklist to help you ensure your campaign’s success.
12 tips to improve your #GivingTuesday campaign
- Set goals for your campaign. What would you like to achieve? More followers, more volunteers or donations? By setting the objectives it will be easier to measure the success of your campaign.
- Prepare your messages early. We recommend you prepare your messages before the actual day to ensure your messaging is clear, consistent and balanced. Get started today!
- Organise your visual content. Choose the images or videos that you’re going to use during the day and make sure they fit your messaging. Images can make your message more powerful and luckily there’s no need to be a graphic designer to create appealing ones.
- Decide on the call-to-action. What is it that you want people to do? Donate money, volunteer, fundraise or simply RT or share your post?
- Explore the right hashtags. Hashtags can help you expand the reach of your campaign. #GivingTuesday is the official hashtag of the day, but you can also create your own one to increase the awareness of your cause or your organisation.
- Activate your social ambassadors. Your social ambassadors can significantly contribute to the success of your campaign so why not get them involved? Their support will help you increase the reach of your message and you’re also empowering your followers by making them feel part of your campaign. Why not create a Thunderclap?
- Use multi-channel promotion. #GivingTuesday is not just for Twitter. As every channel is different, you should consider changing your copy to best fit the platform and your audience on that platform. Your message would be very different on LinkedIn, than on Facebook for example.
- Be creative. This is your opportunity to test new ideas and create an inspiring campaign. Think outside the box and experiment with new creative ways to engage new donors.
- Get matching donations from partners and other organisations. Match funding can help you increase your total donations while spreading your message to a larger audience. Your partners or other organisations can become your ambassadors, supporting your campaign during the day. It’s good for their brand too!
Image: Farm Africa
- Consider live videos on social media. Live video can be engaging during a campaign. Many charities have already experimented with Facebook Live as a way to increase awareness, engagement and reach new donors. Think about how you could use it.
- Join the #GivingTuesday conversation. Millions of people will be joining the #GivingTuesday movement. Be part of the conversation to get inspired, meet new people and explore interesting causes. This day is not just about promoting a campaign but also about celebrating the power of giving.
- Thank your donors. #GivingTuesday is a celebration of generosity. Make sure you thank all your donors for their contribution to your campaign. A warm and personal message can make the difference and it increases the chances of turning them into repeat donors in the future.
Bonus tip: Enjoy the day!
Feel free to tag us on Twitter @Lightful with your creative ideas!
As the world tackles some of society’s greatest challenges, from climate crisis to global health, the collective effort to bridge gender gaps in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) becomes ever more crucial. The global community recently marked the International Day of Women and Girls in Science which celebrates the invaluable contributions of women and girls to the economic development of the world.
In an era where climate change is one of the greatest challenges to our planet, the voices of environmental nonprofits need to be amplified louder than ever. Lightful believes in the power of digital to elevate climate justice, and we believe that every organisation deserves the skills, tools, and confidence to fully leverage digital to enhance their mission.
Meta’s latest app gained over 100 million users in just a few days, becoming one of the fastest growing apps ever. To put this into perspective, it took two months for Open AI’s ChatGPT to reach 100 million users, and we thought that was fast!
See who we help
Want to learn more?
Email Pumulo and start a conversation