Reclaim Social Podcast S02E04 – Countering digital hate and misinformation with Imran Ahmed (CCDH)
The fourth episode for S02 of the Reclaim Social Podcast is now live! 🎉
Our latest guest for the second season is Imran Ahmed, CEO of Centre for Countering Digital Hate, a not-for-profit NGO that seeks to disrupt the architecture of online hate and misinformation.
We discussed how social media has contributed to the rise of online hate and misinformation, the impact of COVID-19 and the spread of anti-vaccine information. We also talked about everyone’s responsibilities on individual and platform level and the best way to get tech companies to address the existing problems.
Imran also shared his thoughts on movements like “Stop hate for-profit” and how they can contribute to a big change in the online world.
Enjoy the episode! 🎧
Listen to the episode
Find the Reclaim Social Podcast on:
Learning more about Imran and CCDH
We’ve talked about many things with Seyi, including:
- How he started the Centre for Countering Digital Hate
- The impact of COVID on the spread of hate and misinformation
- How social media has contributed to the rise of anti-vaccine information
- Their “Anti-Vaxx Industry” report on how big tech powers and profits from anti-vaccine misinformation
- How hate spreads on different digital algorithms
- The ‘art’ of sophisticated manipulation on online platforms
- Practical tips on how to reduce the visibility of hate
- The best way to get social platforms to pay attention to the growing problem
- The power of campaigns like “Stop Hate for Profit”
- The future of social media
- The role of education in battling the spread of online hate
What to do if you see COVID-19 misinformation
Here are some useful tips from CCDH to stop the spread of misinformation around COVID-19.
Follow and Support CCDH
You can find more about the Center for Countering Digital Hate on their website where they share their latest reports and campaigns that they are working on.
You can read their latest report ‘Failure to act’ here.
If you enjoyed this episode, make sure you subscribe to check out the next ones with more exciting guests
On 28th May individuals, organisations and entire communities came together to celebrate Menstrual Hygiene Day (MH Day) - a global campaign to raise awareness of the importance of menstrual health and hygiene for women, girls, and all people who menstruate around the world - which was initiated by our partner WASH United.
111 diverse nonprofits from 44 countries took part in Lightful’s free Digital Bootcamp to create their first digital strategy - we’re so excited to share with you what they learned and free resources for your charity.
The third episode for S02 of the Reclaim Social Podcast is now live! 🎉
See other ways Lightful can help
Want to learn more?
Email Pumulo and start a conversation