Reclaim Social Podcast E12 – Seyi Akiwowo (Glitch)
The final episode for S01 of the Reclaim Social Podcast is now live! 🎉 We’ve talked to Seyi Akiwowo, Executive Director of Glitch, to find out more about her experience setting up Glitch, the transition from politics to the charity sector and how we can end online abuse by championing digital citizenship.
Glitch is dedicated to ending online abuse combining awareness, campaigning, and training to help “fix the glitch” so online spaces are safer and inclusive for everyone. Seyi shares tips on how to be an active bystander online, how to practice digital self-care, and how to amplify the good stories on social media.
We’ve also talked about the role of social media in activism, the secret to avoiding the activist’s burnout and the reasons we all need to have people in our lives that keep us accountable.
This is the perfect way to end the first season of our podcast! Enjoy! 🎧
Listen to the twelfth episode
Find the Reclaim Social Podcast on:
Sign up to get notified when the new episode comes out
Seyi Akiwowo on fixing the glitch
“You can turn your campaign and activism into a thriving and sustainable organisation and also work in partnership with other people” – Seyi Akiwowo
We’ve talked about many things with Seyi, including:
- How she started Glitch
- The transition from local politics to being the founder and executive director of Glitch
- Glitch’s dedication to ending online abuse through championing digital citizenship
- The importance of digital citizenship
- The three key areas that Glitch is focused on as an organisation (awareness, campaigning, training)
- Her learning curve on being diplomatic when needed
- The need to hold platforms and tech companies accountable in terms of remaining safe in online spaces
- Her tips on how to be an active bystander online with cases of online abuse
- How digital self-care may be different for every person (and that’s okay)
- The role of social media in activism
- The idea of fixing the glitch and why she is not an Internet hater (she is really good at Twitter!)
- How social media is giving voice to communities that would never have a mic to control their stories
- The need to amplify the good stories to diffuse the hate and the negativity on social media (and practical ways we can do it)
- Why self-care is all about boundaries and how to set a good morning routine
- How she is trying to…fix the glitch on Twitter by muting certain people and keywords
- Why activists and campaigners need to look after themselves to avoid burnout
- The need for small charities to get the foundations right in terms of their values
- The thought of writing a book on self-care and how she set up Glitch
- Her promise to create a very long Twitter thread with self-care tips
- The need to think of your own accountability and the people who hold her accountable
- Her favourite karaoke song
- What would she do if she were invisible for a day (interesting response!)
“People should be proud, confident and have the tools to share what they’re doing” – Seyi Akiwowo
Glitch is an independent not for profit organisation campaigning to end online abuse & increase digital citizenship.
If you want to find out more about their work, make sure you visit their website.
You can find out links to their free Digital Self Care and Self Defence workshop resources here.
Interested in digital resilience training? Here is everything you need to know. Make sure you also subscribe to their newsletter so that you learn more about their upcoming free workshops in London, Manchester, and Birmingham.
If you enjoyed this episode, make sure you subscribe to check out the next ones with more exciting guests
Find out more about the process of creating a persona-led social prescribing support tool to help organisations in the mental health and wellbeing sector.
Last month we hosted a webinar with a very interesting panel sharing their tips and tricks to demystify technology, and how best to harness its power.
The fourth episode for S02 of the Reclaim Social Podcast is now live! 🎉
The third episode for S02 of the Reclaim Social Podcast is now live! 🎉
See other ways Lightful can help
Want to learn more?
Email Pumulo and start a conversation