Reclaim Social Podcast E08 – Asha Curran (Giving Tuesday)
The eighth episode of the Reclaim Social Podcast is now live! 🎉 We’ve talked to Asha Curran, CEO of Giving Tuesday, to find out more about her inspiring work, how the idea of #GivingTuesday started back in 2012 and how it ended up into a global movement of generosity in more than 60 countries.
#GivingTuesday started in 2012 with just a group of friends and partners and very limited resources as an idea to promote generosity among communities. Asha Curran and Henry Timms were the co-founders of an idea that turned into practice in less than 3 months. The goal was to push it out to the world and see how it goes. Moving to 2019, #GivingTuesday is a massive movement of generosity with a formal presence in more than 60 countries. It is a day for nonprofits to raise awareness and funds for the cause and for individuals to be part of a great manifestation of generosity both online and offline.
We’re big advocates of #GivingTuesday at Lightful, and it has even inspired us when we started with the #ReclaimSocial campaign, so it was great talking to Asha (despite her busy schedule!) to find out more about an empowering movement that proves how online and offline communities can come together.
Enjoy the episode!
Listen to the eighth episode
Find the Reclaim Social Podcast on:
Sign up to get notified when the new episode comes out
Asha Curran on the rise of a movement of generosity
We’ve talked about many things with Asha, including:
- How #GivingTuesday started back in 2012 with limited time and resources
- The biggest lessons they’ve learned from the growth of #GivingTuesday
- Her eclectic career path that is not linear at all!
- The importance of making a movement a collective effort
- The decision to remove the branding based on how people communicate and give
- The organic and meaningful growth of #GivingTuesday through the years and how their strategy changed through the years
- The role of social media and the future of #GivingTuesday
- What makes #GivingTuesday powerful as an activation tool for people to do great things in their communities
- How collectivity and collaboration have shaped the idea of #GivingTuesday
- What nonprofits can learn from the growth of #GivingTuesday
- Why nonprofits need to switch from scarcity to abundance mindset
- How #GivingTuesday can shift our perspectives about leadership, fundraising and even talent retention in the nonprofit sector
- The rise of movements within movements, such as #GivingTuesdayKids
- How we can all reclaim social for good
- Why we need more movements like #GivingTuesday and #ReclaimSocial
- The growing desire for an optimistic use of social media
- Her favourite book of all time
- Who she’d like to have coffee with (spoiler: it’s a fictional character!)
Getting ready for #GivingTuesday
You can find out more about #GivingTuesday and how you can join by visiting their website.
You can also access a useful toolkit full of resources and documents that can improve your #GivingTuesday campaign.
We’ve also recently run a webinar with @GivingTuesdayUK on how to plan your own #GivingTuesday campaign. You can watch it here.
If you enjoyed this episode, make sure you subscribe to check out the next ones with more exciting guests
We’re happy to welcome Susan Caesar to #TeamLightful!
We’re more than 18 months in the pandemic and we’re still seeing misinformation spreading online. Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) communities have been disproportionately impacted by COVID-19. Mistrust created by historical racism and health care inequalities has given space to the rise of misinformation and disinformation.
The fourth episode for S02 of the Reclaim Social Podcast is now live! 🎉
The third episode for S02 of the Reclaim Social Podcast is now live! 🎉
See other ways Lightful can help
Want to learn more?
Email Pumulo and start a conversation